Accordion Student Life Policies


How can I contact the Student Life Office (SLO)?

The Student Life Office is a key part of the support network for students and parents at Pao School. To get in touch with the SLO, please call 21 61671999-6202 and/or email slo@ykpaoschool.cn.


What happens if my child loses something?

If students lose something they should check the ‘Lost and Found’ area in the Student Life Office as this is where all lost items are taken. We also encourage students to think carefully about where they may have left missing items – to retrace their steps and look carefully in all classrooms and areas that they have been that day. One of our core values is ‘responsibility,’ and as such we encourage students to take responsibility for their personal belongings and to keep them in a safe place.


Can I send items to my child? Can the guard deliver packages to my child right away?

Parents can send only important/urgent school-related items to their child, eg. homework or uniforms. We encourage students to bring everything they need for the week with them when they arrive on Monday. All packages will be taken to the Student Life Office and your child can only collect them from there for safety reasons. Guards or staff will not be able to deliver packages to each individual student. Parents should let their child know in advance that they sent a package.


Can I celebrate my child’s birthday on campus?

Parents can send a birthday cake to campus for their child to enjoy with his or her friends. However, parents are not allowed on campus to celebrate with their child and we suggest they save these celebrations for the weekend. Please contact the Student Life Office regarding cake deliveries. 


When is the uniform office open?

The uniform office is open from 8:30am–5:00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.


How can I request leave for my child?

Attendance in all areas of school life is critical for a student’s overall success. When students miss class, co-curricular, and/or residential time for any reason, they miss out on valuable learning opportunities. Therefore, we encourage parents to request leave only in very exceptional circumstances. Please contact the Student Life Office to request leave for your child at least 48-hours in advance. The student is responsible for notifying her/her academic, residential, and co-curricular leaders that he/she will be away. The official email to coordinate a leave request is: qj@ykpaoschool.cn

To ensure accuracy of emergency attendance rosters and to reduce disruptions to evening and morning routines, any request for a student departure/arrival outside of Student Life Office business hours will not be approved. A student may only depart or arrive to school after 7:30am and before 6:00PM. 


Can I see my child during the school day or in the evening?

Part of the boarding experience is for students to learn independence so parents are not allowed on campus during the school day or in the evenings. Visiting time for parents is on Monday mornings before the start of class or on Friday afternoons after class.


Who should I call if I need to talk to my child in an emergency?

Student phones are restricted for use only in the dorm during students’ free time. During the academic week, please call the Student Life Office (SLO) and we will arrange for you to speak with your child. The SLO’s working hours are from 7:30am-6:00pm. Outside of these hours, please call the school emergency number: 182-2199-0830. Parents can also call the house phone which will be picked up by the staff member on duty in the dorm. Each house has an extension number which will be shared on registration day.

Boarding schools are both busy and complex places. Parents often define an emergency differently than the school. The school determines an emergency as a death and/or extreme illness in the immediate family. All other issues are generally deemed as non-emergencies, and as such will be treated by our staff accordingly. Our staff, as those entrusted to care for our students, will make the ultimate determination in the best interest of all students on how quickly to react and respond to a parent request.


What is the process if I need to meet with my child’s teachers or school administrators?

Please email the relevant person and schedule a time to come in and meet with that person. Our staff will notify the security guards of your visit. Please always bring your Parent Card with you and show it to the security guards to gain entry to the school. Our security staff members have been instructed, with the support of the Principal and Dean of Student Life, to refuse any visitor without proper identification.


I’m not confident in using English. Can anyone help me translate?

We are a fully bilingual school and have many staff who will be able to help with translation. When contacting the school, please let us know if you would like assistance with translation and it will be arranged for you.


Does my child need any money on campus?

Your child should not need any money on campus. The only exceptions would be if the child needs to buy items from the uniform store or if there is an off-campus trip planned where students may need some spending money. Students should never bring large sums of money to school.


What happens if my child gets into trouble?

If students get into trouble, their Housemaster will be contacted in the first instance. The Housemaster will decide the consequences depending on the severity of the incident.

Accordion Boarding


What foods can be brought to school?

Boarding students are provided three full meals and two snacks each day in our school cafeteria. Students cannot have their own food or drink (except for a water bottle) outside of their residential house. In the evenings, when in their own house, students are allowed to enjoy snacks. The guidelines for which snacks are (and are not) appropriate on campus are listed in the student handbook and outlined as follows:

  • Food should be kept in a sealed container or re-sealable plastic bag. A refrigerator is available in each house for food that needs refrigerating.
  • Acceptable snacks in the dorm should be low in sugar, salt, fat, and caffeine free. Generally, foods that are highly processed and packaged are considered unhealthy, inappropriate, and should not be brought to school. Here is a general list of foods in order to help you understand the healthy snack guidelines:

Unacceptable snacks include cakes (except on birthdays), candy, sodas, gums, potato chips, coffees, caffeinated teas, processed cookies, instant noodles, drink powders.

Acceptable snacks include nuts, fresh or dried fruit, granola or cereal bars, homemade baked goods or breads, dried meats, sports drinks, fruit juices and milk.

  • Many snacks fall under a grey area of acceptability but your Housemasters and dorm parents are always focused on students’ health and best interests. Therefore, they will make decisions whether or not specific snacks are acceptable. If students are unsure, they may simply ask a teacher.
  • If a dorm parent finds students with unhealthy food, it will be confiscated and thrown away.


Can my child stay up late or get up early to study?

One of our core values is balance. For us, this also includes getting plenty of sleep each night. As such, sleep will always be the priority for students. Students are not allowed to stay up later than their normally scheduled bedtime to continue academic work. The only exception to this rule is in our IB programme, where Year 11 and 12 students can request a late lights out from their Housemaster to complete academic work. However, these are only available to students on a limited basis.


What size sheets should we bring for the bed?

While our beds vary slightly in size depending on a student's house and year group, the following linen sizes will be sufficient for all beds on campus:

  • Sheet – 180cm x 270cm
  • Quilt cover – 160cm x 210cm
  • Pillow cover – 55cm x 85cm


How many roommates will my child have?

Rooming arrangements are assigned according to the following guidelines:

  • Year 7-8 Boys and Girls (Jr. Secondary) - Four to five students in one room, depending on the house and room.
  • Year 9-10 (IGCSE) - Three students in one room, with three single beds.
  • Year 11-12 (IB) - Two students in one room, with two single beds.

However, these guidelines are subject to enrolment needs. They are the preferred arrangements, but not an absolute guarantee.


How are roommates chosen?

Students are given an opportunity to express their roommate preference. The Housemaster then makes all rooming assignments for the students in his or her care, based on:

  • Students' preference
  • Student's behaviour and performance 
  • Housemaster's own best judgment about which rooming combinations will be most beneficial to all students  


How long is study time each night?

Students in Junior Secondary have an hour and a half of study time which takes place in the academic building after dinner from 6:30-8pm. Students then have an opportunity to relax or, if they still have work to complete, continue study in the dorms until lights out at 9:15pm-9:45pm.

Senior Secondary students have study time from 7:00-9:00pm in the dorm which is supervised by dorm parents and student prefects.


When will my child go to bed?

  • Year 7-8 – 9:45pm
  • Years 9-12 – 10:15-11:00pm


When will my child wake up?

  • Year 7-8 – 6:30-6:45am
  • Year 9-12 – 6:45-7:00am


How often will my child clean his bed linens?

We insist that students change their bed linens every 2-3 weeks. Under special circumstances, students may also be asked to take sheets home weekly.


How can I make sure my child gets the most out of the boarding programme?

Boarding can be an extremely rewarding experience for students who are open to the idea of becoming independent but are team spirited at the same time. Dorm parents and Housemasters are always on hand to encourage students to be self-sufficient and to participate in group activities to solidify the bonds with their roommates. However, the majority of this comes from the students themselves. A positive, collaborative attitude towards domestic life can be extremely valuable as a starting point for a successful boarding student. Is your child willing to look after him/herself? Is the child prepared to try new experiences? It's worth asking yourself these questions when considering the boarding programme for your child.


Who is available to help my child if he or she has a problem?

There is a wide and comprehensive network of people to support your child at Pao School. The tutor programme provides both academic and pastoral support, so whether the issue involves study or homesickness, homework deadlines or friendship groups, your child’s tutor will be the first person he or she can talk to. As friendships develop, some student prefer to rely on their friends for support, which can be an effective way of sharing problems. If the issues are medical, we have a Wellness Centre staffed by excellent doctors and nurses 24 hours a day. The majority of our tutors are also dorm parents in the boarding houses. This enables them to have a better understanding of the students and the context of their problem. Pao School also has a number of counsellors to support students who require ongoing professional support.


How often will my child’s room be cleaned?

Both students and the school take responsibility for cleanliness and hygiene. Students work together as a team in taking responsibility for their surroundings. Students do this by cleaning their own rooms, emptying the rubbish bin, and doing a number of other basic chores. In addition to the students’ efforts to keep their rooms tidy and clean, student bathrooms are cleaned and disinfected by our housekeeping team twice weekly – once on Saturday and once during the school week.


How can I make sure that my child's room stays clean?

Part of learning to take responsibility for oneself includes maintaining a clean environment. It is also ideal for the rooms to stay clean so that relationships between students can be harmonious. We would encourage you to teach your child basic housekeeping skills like sweeping, mopping, wiping surfaces and making a bed before he or she begins the boarding programme. We feel these are important basic life skills which facilitate people being able to look after themselves in later life.


Who should I contact to make residential status change?

Our boarding house is not a hote: It's a fundamental part of life in our community that provides a consistent link for our students and staff. Consistency leads to stability, and thus student comfort and happiness. As such, we never recommend a status change during the school year because it is disruptive to the entire community (student, parent, staff, and classmates). We also understand that a family or personal situation may compel a student to withdraw from our boarding programme. These decisions must involve a thorough conversation – with the student, parents, Tutor, and Housemaster. Thus, before any request to change status can be reviewed, the Student Life Office will verify that a formal conversation has happened between the above parties. The Dean of Student Life will discuss the request with the student’s tutor and Housemaster for further follow-up and approval.

It is important to know that there are no ‘temporary status changes’. Boarding is in high demand at Pao School, and as such, students who leave the boarding programme may not be able to return – as many day students are waiting to take places in the boarding programme when beds become available at the beginning of each semester. Ultimate approval for a status change will come from the Dean of Student Life and may take up to two weeks for the approval process to be completed. Students who wish to change their status from ‘Boardin’ to ‘Day’ may be required to show proof of residence within Songjiang District, per the Pao School Admissions Philosophy and Guidelines, as published by the Student Affairs Office.